Most website owners are concerned about the stability and the uptime of their websites. While the hosting services say there is almost no downtime, the website owners need some tools to check the uptime of their sites and Pingdom is one such tool, which periodically checks the website status and updates the owners if the site goes down or there is some issue.
Since July 2009, Pingdom also started the Pingdom Free Service, which is aimed at providing the checks to hobbyists or blog-owners to validate the status of their pages and servers. The following are the features of Pingdom Free.
- One website/server can be added for monitoring.
- Variable frequency of checking whether the site is up. Options include different frequencies from once every minute to once every hour.
- Various customizable uptime statistics and reports.
- Unlimited number of emails to warn the owners when the site goes down.
- Apart from this, the Pingdom Free service also gives the owners a onetime free 20 SMS alerts, which send text messages to the provided cell phone when the website goes down. Once the 20 are expired, the users can opt to buy more sms if needed.
- The uptime reports also show the site performance in different parts of the world and this feature is useful for hosting services which use CDN for improved performance. It also helps CDN companies to keep track of, and optimize their networks based on load.
All in all, with various useful services and absolutely no cost involved, the Pingdom Free is positively recommended for hobbyist web-owners or bloggers.